Home Forums Post a video BACH Double Project

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mariko Mariko 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mariko
    Mariko
    Keymaster
    • Contributions: 155

Goal: learn the Bach Double Violin Concerto in D minor
    Source: Suzuki Book 4 (violin 2 part) and Suzuki Book 5 (violin 1 part)
    Participants: Emma (violin 1) and Mariko (violin 2)

We will soon get started but I don’t know when we will be ready to make a recording or how fast we will play it. But I’m very excited to learn this concerto. I find it very motivating to not have to do this alone.

Here is a video series about this concerto (especially focused on violin part 2, but most of the tips should be helpful for violin part 1 as well)

I also enjoyed this recording by violinist Jenny Yun very much. I think it’s a wonderful example for us.

Emma
    Participant
    • Contributions: 84

Hi Mariko :)
    I am very excited about this project. I really wanted to play this concerto so I talked with our pianist about it and he was also very excited about it, but I have no idea why my teacher was unsure about playing it, so I am really glad to play it with you :yahoo: When I made proposition I thought we will play for example some Bartok duos, but your proposition was much better :heart:
    I haven’t watched those classes about Bach yet, but in a free time I surely will :good: This recording by Jenny Yun is really good. I really enjoy Menuhin/Oistrakh recording and Steinbacher/Suwanai recording on youtube and Nigel Kenedy recording on Spotify.
    I think a good goal is to finish this project at the beginning of September or if we won’t manage to complete it by then to give it one more month. ;-)
    I think it will be nice to play it about 160=eight note or maybe faster, but we will see how fast we will manage to play. I am thinking about making orchestral mdi file, since this piece is already in public domain, but it may take a long time to make.
    Currently I am working on it in slow tempo – 100=eight note, but I am trying also to play faster and it starts to sound well. :-) I hope that you have good time with Bach like i do :heart:

Mariko
    Mariko
    Keymaster

Hi Emma, that’s wonderful! I’m so happy to that you’re excited to play this concerto. :-)
    I looked up the recordings you talked about. I really liked this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJh6i-t_I1Q
    Thanks for sharing!

I’m still just starting with my part. I can play the first 25% of the piece at about 140 bpm but it doesn’t sound good yet. But then it starts to get more difficult: more shifting, and string crossings. So it will take me some time to figure all that out. :scratch: I also still have to watch all the parts of the video tutorial. :whistle: Lost of things to do! That’s great. :-) I think it will be possible to finish by the beginning of September. But we will know better in the next weeks how it goes. I think next week I can start dedicating more time to this concerto. I will keep you posted!

I read you’re thinking of making a midi file. I believe that will be much work indeed!! If you really want to do that, that would be wonderful. But if you can’t, for me that’s no problem. I would totally understand, I wouldn’t even expect you to do all that work. It sounds very nice too just the 2 violins. So, don’t feel any obligation to do that. ;-)

Till next time! I’ll keep you posted. :-)

Emma
    Participant
    • Contributions: 84

That’s great that you’re coming closer to the tempo. I’ve already reached 160 bpm marks with few intonation problems and minor mistakes, but I still try to play it in slow tempo to correct as much as I can. This few days I dedicated less time to violin and more time to reading books. It’s my last week of practics in hospital, so I wanted to learn more things about that. When I will finish I will start to work on mdi. I wanted to make it, since it’s much easier to keep good intonation playing with a piano than alone. The recording may seem ok on individual track, but together it may not sound so well.
    I hope you are doing well :)

Mariko
    Mariko
    Keymaster

Hi Emma, I hope your week in hospital was good!
    Wanted to let you know that I’m now able to dedicate more time on the Bach Double. :-) I had a wonderful practice session yesterday.

First I watched the entire tutorial series I had found on YouTube (the one I mentioned in my first post). It’s very helpful, especially to know more about the bowings. I hadn’t thought of it: things as where to lift the bow and start at the frog, bow planning, … It was really helpful for me.

I also signed up yesterday for the ArtistWorks Violin School with Nathan Cole. I have been wanting to sign up for quite some time, but now was the right moment. It’s a school to learn via video exchange and I think it will be perfect for my circumstances. Nathan Cole also has a lesson about this concerto so I watched that too. Very interesting as well. And when I practice the piece a little more, then I will send him my video to receive feedback and improve my playing. I’m very excited about that! So I believe it will go very well with this piece and I think it will be ready by the beginning of September as you proposed.

Something else. I was looking on musescore to see if there is a midi already for the Bach Double, so you would have less work. Is this something you could work with? https://musescore.com/user/2267241/scores/4191491 Maybe change some of the instruments to piano? Or at least to not have to start from scratch?

Hope you have a nice weekend!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.